Engineer, Telecom Engineering
Company: National Grid USA
Posted on: November 9, 2019
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities,
and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We
connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The
pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our
expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to
shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers,
reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the
flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on
our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both
ourselves and our business.
National Grid is hiring a Telecomm Engineer in Providence, RI.Job
This position reports directly to the Telecommunications
Engineering Manager and will be responsible for the engineering,
design & implementation of cost effective & reliable
telecommunications solutions in conformance with National Grids
telecom policies, processes, procedures, standards, and guidelines
as well as telecom network architecture & strategy.
Telecommunications solutions may involve engineering & implementing
private radio networks & systems, fiber optic networks & systems,
microwave network & systems, smart grid communications networks,
leased wired & wireless telecom services, or a combination of these
in order to meet the companys communications requirements. National
Grid relies heavily on these telecom networks & systems to support
the construction, operation, maintenance, and restoration of its
electric & gas delivery networks.Key Accountabilities
- Analyze telecom requirements, evaluate telecom options,
recommend telecom solution, and implement approved telecom solution
for internal & external customers. Telecom options may include, but
not limited to, private radio, private microwave, private fiber
optic networks/systems, power line carrier, or commercial wired &
wireless communications services.
- Provide planning, engineering, design, and implementation
services for radio, microwave, and fiber optic networks & systems
to meet the needs of internal and external customers.
- Provide telecom engineering support for Electric Transmission &
Substation Capital Projects.
- Manage (where a Project Manager is deemed not needed) &
implement small/independent telecom projects as assigned by the
Telecommunications Engineering Manager.
- Create telecom policies, processes, procedures, standards,
guidelines, and strategy as assigned by the Telecom Engineering
- Provide technical telecom support to various internal
engineering groups, Protection & Telecom Operations Organization,
Shared Services (IS, Corporate Security, Gas business unit,
- Provide subject matter expertise to project and operational
teams as well as internal & external committees.
- Keep abreast of technology innovations and seek appropriate
opportunities to apply them.
- As National Grid is a member of the Shared Telecom Network
(STN) in New England, this position may collaborate with other
Telecom Operators/Owners as well as Users/Members of the STN to
provide and maintain a network consistent with the goals of
National Grid that results in the interconnection and sharing of
the Operators private telecommunications infrastructure.
Supervisory/Interpersonal- Experience Required
- Effective planning, resource management, communication and
supervisory skills to lead large groups of staff to achieve the
efficient completion of tasks.
- Demonstrated self-reliance when approaching common work-related
- A Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or Electrical
Engineering Technology from an ABET accredited engineering
- A minimum of 2 years of engineering experience in one of the
following disciplines: Broadband Microwave Networks & Systems,
Fiber Optic Networks & Systems, commercial wired & wireless
communications services, and Land Mobile Radio System.
- Proficient in MS Office computer skills (Outlook, Excel, Work,
Power point, Access, etc.)
- Strong problem solving & analytical skills
- Strong verbal & written communications skills.
- Course work that emphasized in telecommunications and
communications networks & Systems would be a plus.
- Ability to learn and develop business and technical skills
- Ability to see the big picture and having an open mind.
- A valid drivers license required with a safe driving history
that meets National Grids Safe Driver policy
This position has a career path which provides for promotional
opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in
the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and
applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and
provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and
their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad
diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster
a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver
superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is
proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage
minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected
veterans to join the National Grid team.
Keywords: National Grid USA, Providence , Engineer, Telecom Engineering, Engineering , Providence, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!