Manager Pharmacy Services
Company: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island
Posted on: January 16, 2020
Manage daily operations of pharmacy benefit programs; act as an
expert on clinical pharmacy issues. Oversee the development and
maintenance of cost-effective pharmacy management programs. Respond
to internal questions concerning plan coverage and policies for
specific pharmaceuticals, research appropriateness of drug
therapies, and provide feedback on state regulatory and legislative
issue. Manage the development, implementation, and maintenance of
departmental policies, procedures and programs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide direction and technical guidance to staff. Set goals,
review and evaluate work, and prepare performance reviews.
- Manage daily operations of pharmacy benefit programs; oversee
the development and maintenance of cost-effective pharmacy programs
that increase medication compliance and ensure appropriate member
- Act as an expert on clinical pharmacy issues within the
organization and to external companies including the company
Pharmacy Benefit Manager. Respond to clinical questions regarding
prescription medications including those utilized by members.
- Collaborate with internal departments and physicians to improve
prescription and clinical practices to ensure high quality,
- Review prescriptions issued by physician or other authorized
prescriber to ensure appropriateness of therapy and compliance with
- Assist in the development of physician educational
- Analyze prescription data, identify areas for improvement, and
provide recommendations to physicians.
- Educate internal departments on plan policies, benefits, and
any other administrative matters related to pharmacy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy or related field; or an
equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Current pharmacist license in the state of Rhode Island.
- Five or more years clinical pharmacy experience.
- Three to five years management experience or experience leading
- Managed care experience and specific knowledge and training in
prescription drugs, pharmacy benefits, utilization review, cost
containment strategies, and emerging technology.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- Knowledge of formularies, rebate contracts, and pharmacy
- Knowledge of cost containment and utilization review
- Knowledge of state and federal laws as applicable to the health
- Knowledge of health care plans and benefits.
- Ability to coach and motivate to maximize performance.
- Ability to effectively communicate goals and business
objectives to employees.
- Strong and effective decision-making skills.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite of products (i.e., Word,
Excel, PPT, etc.).
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of the
- Ability to effectively delegate work and manage project
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability
to convey complex or technical information in an effective
At Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island (BCBSRI), diversity and
inclusion are central to our core values and strengthen our ability
to meet the challenges of today's healthcare industry. BCBSRI is an
equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. We provide equal
opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, age,
national origin or ancestry, disability, veteran status, sexual
orientation, genetic information, sex, gender identity or
expression, and any other personal attributes protected by federal,
state, or local law. For more information about our commitment to
diversity and inclusion, please see our Diversity Report at
The law requires an employer to post notices describing the Federal
laws prohibiting job discrimination based on race, color, sex,
national origin, religion, age, equal pay, disability, veteran
status, sexual orientation, and genetic information and gender
identity or expression. Please visit
view the "EEO is the Law" poster.
BCBSRI is committed to working with and providing reasonable
accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a
disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of our
application process, please contact us at (see application details)
During the application process, please allow a minimum of five
business days before you contact our office to inquire about the
status of your application. If you have any questions regarding
your application or during the process, please contact Human
Resources by phone at (see application details) or by email at (see
application details) .
Southern New England, Boston, MA, Hartford, CT, Health Data
Analyst, RI Health Insurer, Healthcare, Wellness, Provider,
Network, Rhode Island, RI, Pharmacist, Pharmacists, Pharmacy,
Dosage, Dispensary, Medication, Pharmaceutical, Pharmacotherapy,
Keywords: Blue Cross Blue Shield of Rhode Island, Providence , Manager Pharmacy Services, Executive , Providence, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!