Director of Family Engagement
Company: The College Crusade of Rhode Island
Posted on: February 25, 2021
Primary functions and purpose of this position including overall
objectives of the position Reporting to the Chief Program Officer,
the Director of Family Engagement leads the College Crusade's work
to engage parents and families and oversees strategy, program
development and implementation, budget management, and evaluation
for this department. The Director serves as the primary liaison
between the Crusade and the families of students served by the
program. The Director works with families, program staff and
community partners to encourage and build the capacity of parents
and family members to support their students' academic success and
college preparation. The Director is expected to maintain knowledge
of emerging research and best practices related to family
engagement and to educate and train Crusade program staff on these
topics. As a member of the Crusade's leadership team, the Director
is also expected to contribute to organizational and strategic
planning efforts. There will be supervisory responsibilities in
this role, but the Director of Family Engagement will not have any
direct reports initially. Requirements Oversee the design and
implementation of family engagement programming and education.
- Plan and execute family engagement workshops, orientations, and
other events in coordination with program staff and community
- Develop grade-level specific family engagement objectives to
increase parent and guardian knowledge around college awareness,
college application, college success, student non-cognitive skills,
financial literacy, and technology literacy.
- Communicate regularly with parents and other family members,
school personnel and program staff to promote family engagement
- Conduct needs analysis to identify and develop programming and
community partnerships to support program objectives.
- Develop and maintain resources including family engagement
trainings, presentations, curricula, and other materials to be used
in workshops and training sessions.
- Track and monitor assessment data to regularly gauge the impact
of family engagement programming and make adjustments as
- Work with the Director of Marketing and Communications and
other staff to develop materials (electronic and print) and other
communications that promote and increase family engagement. Direct
the organization's efforts to meaningfully engage and support
- Develop and lead professional development trainings for Crusade
staff to build cultural competency and help them to understand the
important role of the family in contributing to student
- In conjunction with Directors of Middle School, High School,
and Post-Secondary Success, develop expectations for family
engagement for all advising staff.
- Develop curricula and programs to help families support their
children's education, whether in-person or via distance
- Stay abreast of current research and best practices related to
family engagement, particularly with first-generation and
- Attend trainings, workshops and/or conferences focused on
promoting parent and family engagement in student learning and
- Serve as a liaison between the College Crusade and community
partners in areas such as housing, public health, food security,
transportation, and other policy topics that affect the capacity of
our families and students to be successful. Develop and maintain
positive relationships with families of Crusade students.
- Build and maintain relationships with Crusaders' families,
serving as a liaison between the family and Crusade program staff
working directly with students.
- Establish an inclusive and supportive network for parents and
families of Crusade students.
- Encourage and build the capacity of parents and family members
to take an active role in supporting their students' academic
success and college preparation.
- Engage one-on-one with Crusade family members as needed to
address issues concerning students' health, well-being and/or
- Maintain a working knowledge of available College Crusade
programs and resources as well as community resources and refer
families to them as appropriate. Support the strategic direction,
management, and overall health of the organization
- Together with the Chief Executive Officer and Leadership Team,
contribute to the overall development, strategic direction, program
delivery, and management of the organization.
- Attend and actively participate in Leadership Team
- Facilitate cross-departmental coordination and communication in
the interest of more seamless organizational integration.
- Participate in the budget development process and maintain a
high level of fiscal responsibility. Position Qualification and
Competencies Essential KSOCs (knowledge, skills, abilities, and
- Demonstrated capacity to engage at a community level, including
collaborating with school districts, nonprofit organizations, and
- Commitment to parents and families as educators of and
champions for their children.
- Familiarity with research-based family engagement strategies
- Demonstrated ability to work in collaborative teams within a
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact
comfortably with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to employ interactive
adult learning strategies through facilitation of workshops and
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation
- High energy level, attention to detail, time management,
ability to handle multiple tasks, and comfort with public speaking
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and able to learn and
effectively use the latest software and technology systems employed
by the Crusade. Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field (e.g. human services,
social work or education.)
- A minimum of five years' relevant work experience.
- Strong preference for bilingual English/Spanish speaker. Other
- Schedule: Must be willing to maintain a flexible schedule,
including some weekend and evening hours.
- Each employee of the College Crusade is expected to demonstrate
the following in the regular performance of his or her job
- Commitment to the vision, mission and values of the College
- A positive attitude and willingness to contribute productively
to the success of each team and the organization as a whole.
- An understanding of and commitment to the Crusade's core
competencies of accountability, collaboration, communication,
institutional values and service.
- Active participation in efforts geared toward directing and
improving the overall operations of the Crusade, such as strategic
planning, organizational development and performance
- Commitment to acting as an advocate and ambassador for the
- Knowledge of the barriers and obstacles that low-income
families and first-generation students encounter in the journey to
higher education is preferred.
- Sense of ownership and pride in personal performance.
- Adherence to all existing organizational policies and
Keywords: The College Crusade of Rhode Island, Providence , Director of Family Engagement, Executive , Providence, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!