Director, Information Security (Application Security) - REMOTE
Company: Travelers Canada
Posted on: January 16, 2022
Director, Information Security (Application Security) - REMOTE
Company SummaryTaking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Job CategoryTechnologyTarget Openings1Job Description
SummaryTravelers Claim Technology seeks an Information Security /
Application Security Leader. This role will report to Sr. Director
of Claim Technology Risk and Security, working closely with
architecture, developers, agile teams, business and enterprise
counterparts. This position will lead Security Management within
This leader is responsible for the critical role of evolving and
maturing our Security Capabilities. This role nurtures key
partnerships with Enterprise functions such as Enterprise
Cybersecurity, Infrastructure, Architecture, Claim Legal and
We are seeking an energetic, accomplished, leader with a strong
technology and delivery acumen. He/she will have a track record of
delivering security projects, risk management as well as strategy
and roadmap development and execution.
The ideal candidate must be comfortable working in a large, complex
business and technology environment. This individual must be
recognized as a thought leader and trusted advisor, able to make
decisions using sound judgment and being seen as a driving force
for cross enterprise collaboration and execution within Claim
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our
offices.Primary Job Duties & ResponsibilitiesKey Responsibilities
- Shares highly complex information related to areas of
- Interacts with senior management to keep abreast of
- Provides leadership with a strategic direction for the
function, ranging from planning to execution, expounding the value
of information security
- Provides high level security consulting within Claim
- Work with the Business to develop processes and procedures to
ensure information security policies and standards are
- Provides direction and oversight for application security
engineering team, including system security testing, security
scans, and secure design.
- Represents Claim in review and approval of the enterprise
Information Security Policies and Standards
- Reports Information Security non-compliance issues to the
Business as applicable with appropriate documentation
- Provides support in validation of security controls
- Implements security solutions according to Security Policy and
Practices established by Travelers
- Determines the appropriate levels of controls to safeguard
sensitive data and validates those controls are being
- Leads further development of Security Strategy and Roadmap
improving maturity level
- Partners with Cybersecurity on suitable information security
awareness, training, and educational activities
- Supports Business Resiliency work by partnering with Enterprise
Cybersecurity, Infrastructure and Claim Business
- Works in close collaboration with Enterprise Information
Technology Risk Manager supporting Risk Assessments, policy
changes, and general Risk Management practices
- Supports Risk Assessments whenever technical expertise is
- Works in close collaboration with Cybersecurity BISO.
- Coordinates, leverages, and influences technology partners
- Possesses written and verbal communication skills that
translate from technical team level up thorough to Senior
- Directs assigned staff to implement and/or maintain systems of
medium to high complexity and/or assigned project(s).
- Manages to the tactical and operational plan and budget for
assigned information systems and/or projects of business unit
- Provides input to the Senior management team on the development
of the operational plan.
- Advocates the use of technology to develop and/or redesign the
- Understands cost benefit analysis as the key driver for
enhancement and/or project prioritization.
- Has awareness of Enterprise strategies and impact on the line
of business or functional area of responsibility.
- Provides key project stakeholders and IT leadership with timely
status updates and/or system performance updates.
- Applies knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to
formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects and/or
- Accountable for directing team to achieve deliverables.
- Manages team direction and the day-to-day work of direct
- Responsible for providing consistent performance
feedback/coaching and completing formal performance reviews.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- 5 years of technology or business related experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, MIS, Business
Management, or related field or equivalent experience
- CISSP certification preferred.
- At least 8+ years of full-time work experience in information
security management and/or related functions (such as IT audit and
IT Risk Management)
- 3-5 years of people management experience required.Licensing or
- CISSP, GCIH, GPENJob Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Technical Knowledge: A solid understanding of current
technology capabilities, and a keen interest in staying abreast of
emerging technology trends and opportunities. Key skills need to
include: strategic planning, application security testing, security
software architecture, software architecture design, data security
including identity and access management, data masking/data
encryption and patterns for structured and unstructured data, cloud
security, mobile security, DLP and web security. Solid understating
of security controls (i.e. NIST background) vulnerability
management life cycle, continues integration and DevOps as well as
understanding of security investigative techniques and
- -Business Knowledge: Working knowledge of the Property &
Casualty insurance industry especially the key business drivers of
business intelligence and analytics and the ability to propose and
deliver solutions that produce business results.
- Communication: Effectively written and verbal communication
from technical team direction to senior management presentations
and demonstrates an adaptive style for gaining the engagement,
cooperation and commitment of others.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making: Demonstrates outstanding
analytical and diagnostic skills when dealing with complex issues
and uncertainty, and the ability to make sound decisions quickly
while carefully evaluating risks and alternatives before taking
action. Possesses strong negotiation and collaboration skills, and
effectively consults and communicates with key stakeholders
regarding critical decisions.
- Leadership and Team Orientation: Defines and manages objectives
and priorities, establishes clear accountabilities, and effectively
delegates and enables resources. Builds and maintains productive
partnerships across the enterprise and is able to positively
influence management, peers, and staff. Exhibits an open and
objective attitude, invites and welcomes feedback, shares bad news
as quickly as good news, and puts successful business outcomes
above individual interests.
- Develops solutions to meet business needs that reflect a clear
understanding of the objectives, practices and procedures of the
corporation, department and business unit.
- Has thorough understanding of staff responsibilities, abilities
and development needs.
- Business Knowledge & Partnership:
- Creates an atmosphere where business partner's issues are dealt
with professionally and in a timely manner.
- Suggests solutions that make sense and are in line with future
- Communicates openly and effectively in a manner consistent with
- Demonstrates an adaptive style that is flexible and effective
in gaining cooperation of others.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making:
- Demonstrates sound analytical and diagnostic skills dealing
with issues that are not readily defined and/or conflict with
available information. Knows where to obtain information needed to
make the appropriate decisions.
- Breaks a problem down to manageable pieces and implements
effective, timely solutions.
- Is very good at identifying the problem versus the
- Deals increasingly with problems that require involvement of
others to solve.
- Has the ability to reach sound decisions quickly.
- Carefully evaluates alternative risks and solutions before
- Optimizes the use of all available resources.
- Team Orientation:
- Maintains effective partnerships across the organization and is
able to influence senior management, peers and subordinates through
an inclusive style and recognition of their abilities and
- Balances team and individual responsibilities.
- Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views.
- Gives and welcomes feedback.
- Puts success of team above own interest.
- Manages functional objectives and priorities supporting
multiple assigned business units.
- Responsibilities are assigned with latitude for setting
priorities and decision-making using generally accepted
- Results are reviewed with next level manager for clarification
according to predefined objectives.
- Planning and Project Management:
- Develops operational plans and provide task resource estimation
- Proposes action plans that are timely, realistic and
- Sets appropriate goals for the area and monitors progress
against the plan.
- Delegates to maximize organizational effectiveness.
- Knowledge of Agile methodology and ability to apply them to
projects. In the Agile environment the director level typically
performs as an experienced Scrum Master or Kanban Master.
- Financial Awareness:
- Develops a portion of an overall divisional budget subject to
review and is responsible for expense control for the units
- Demonstrates sound cost-effectiveness.
- Failure to achieve objectives can result in delays or
inefficiencies resulting in readjustment of resources and/or
- Responsible for important and confidential information.
- Human Resource Management:
- Demonstrates good interpersonal skills by displaying an
understanding of the needs and perspective of others.
- Able to balance the workload of team members and supervise
individuals of varying abilities.
- Able to identify the talents of others and match them to the
tasks that will best suit the area goals and/or provide growth for
- Able to assess and identify employee skill development needs
and put together a training program for the individual. Coaches
staff to stimulate their professional growth.
- Responsible for the accurate and timely completion of staff
performance evaluations and development planning.
- Recruits and retains effective staff members.
- Demonstrates a capacity to recognize, value and respect
differences across a diverse work force.Environmental / Work
Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel OccasionallyEmployment
PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the
unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our
organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from
our differences. -
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting. To learn more about
our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
- Travelers has 30,000 employees in the United States, Canada,
the United Kingdom, Ireland and Brazil. > > Explore life at
- We have 8 diversity networks, employee-led organizations
dedicated to fostering the development and success of our
employees. > > Discover diversity and inclusion .
- Employees and their eligible family members - including
spouses, domestic partners and children - are eligible for coverage
from the first day of employment. > > Explore benefits .
- Travelers has been recognized by organizations such as Forbes,
Human Rights Campaign Foundation, and Military Times. > >
Read more about recognition .
- Our employees are valuable assets to their hometowns, giving
more than 100,000 hours of their time toward important causes each
year. > > Learn about community involvement .
Keywords: Travelers Canada, Providence , Director, Information Security (Application Security) - REMOTE, Executive , Providence, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!