Division Manager - Water Supply
Company: City of Providence
Posted on: May 13, 2022
The City of Providence welcomes and encourages diversity in our
workforce at all levels of the organization. We provide equal
employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for
employment and prohibit hiring discrimination of any type. All City
hiring decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion,
age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected
veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local
All persons employed by the City of Providence are required to have
achieved a fully vaccinated status against the COVID-19 virus.
"Fully vaccinated status" shall be defined as having received the
full number of doses required to complete the vaccination series of
one of the currently recognized COVID-19 vaccines. Proof of
vaccination completion will be required before beginning employment
with the City.Job SummaryThe Division Manager - Water Supply
reports to the Senior Manager - Water Supply and is responsible for
managing and coordinating the planning, organization,
implementation, and monitoring all programs and functions within
the Water Supply Operations and Laboratory divisions. Program
planning and implementation shall be consistent with approved
policies, guidelines, and organizational goals and objectives. Work
will be performed in coordination with the Senior Manager - Water
Supply; performs other related duties as assigned.Duties &
- Responsible for the services and activities of the Providence
Water (PW) Water Treatment Plant; including supervision, operation,
maintenance, and laboratory analysis functions and program
- Responsible for implementing identified opportunities for
improving service delivery methods and procedures.
- Directs, coordinates, and reviews the work plan for assigned
operation, maintenance, and laboratory analysis functions,
services, and activities at the Water Treatment Plant and remote
facilities; assigns work activities and projects; stays informed
and involved with daily operational issues and problem
- Monitors workflow; reviews and evaluates work products,
methods, and procedures; meets with staff to identify and resolve
- Directs the daily testing of water in various stages of
- Develops and implements the PW Asset Management program and the
coordination of overall plant operations.
- In coordination with the Senior Manager - Water Supply,
participates in the development and administration of assigned
program budget; forecasts funding needed for staffing, equipment,
materials, and supplies; monitors and approves expenditures;
recommends adjustments as necessary.
- Works with operations and laboratory management personnel in
the development, implementation, review, and update of standard
operating procedures (SOPs) and division policies.
- Monitors implementation and performance for compliance with
goals, objectives, procedures, standards, and targets of
expectations of each of the functions; guides, monitors, and
counsels managers and other assigned staff to ensure
- Knowledgeable of Federal, State, and municipal laws and
regulations related to the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) and the
Clean Water Act (CWA), various hazardous materials rules and
regulations, and related utility laws and regulations; ensures that
the utility and staff participate in Federal, and State initiated
- In coordination with the Senior Manager - Water Supply, works
to provide efficiency analysis of PW equipment, prepares requests
for Proposals and Qualifications. Works with purchasing division to
expedite and coordinate purchasing, advertising and bidding
- Reviews employee action plans, performance appraisals,
counseling, disciplinary actions, and provides personnel
recommendations; ensures compliance with City and PW policies and
the collective bargaining agreement between the City and
- Works with Personnel and Management team to address employee
issues and insure consistency throughout the department.
- Promotes and institutes cross-department work teams.
- Oversees and participates in safety programs for assigned
sections and workgroups, including those associated with hazardous
materials; assists with action planning for safety programs;
implements and monitors risk management plans, including those
associated with hazardous material; participates in emergency
response programs, responds to workers' compensation issues.
- In coordination with the Senior Manager - Water Supply, reviews
and provides input to the Engineering Department's designs for new
and replacement projects as they pertain to the water supply
department and provides input into IFR and Capital Improvement
- Performs other related duties as assigned.Minimum
QualificationsCandidate must possess:
- A Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year college or
university with major course work in chemistry, biochemistry,
microbiology, water technology, engineering, business
administration, or a related field.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience in the management,
operation and maintenance of a water treatment plant including two
years of administrative and supervisory responsibility.
- Must possess and maintain a Rhode Island Drinking Water
Operator Certification, Class 3-T, or ability to obtain the
certification within one (1) year of appointment.
- Experience shall include thorough knowledge of water treatment
processes in a system with a surface water supply.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Driver's License and is
responsible to maintain all vehicle maintenance logs.
- Knowledge of the water quality issues of a water utility with
respect to protection of source water supplies, water treatment,
storage and transmission and distribution.
- Strong interpersonal skills; excellent oral and written
- Demonstrate the ability to deal effectively with individuals
and teams in harmonious as well as in adversary conditions.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and complete complex assignments
in a timely manner.
- Be able to represent PW effectively to the public and to other
organizations and institutions.
- Must be able to perform all essential functions of the
Keywords: City of Providence, Providence , Division Manager - Water Supply, Executive , Providence, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!