Category Manager - GFD
Company: United Natural Foods, Inc.
Posted on: November 25, 2022
The Category Manager (CM) is responsible for supporting the
Category Director in developing and carrying out the Category
Business Plan (CBP). Responsible for coordinating team activities
that support multiple categories in a customer facing business
model. Through execution of the category strategy, the Category
Manager works to meet and exceed sales and margin expectations. As
directed by the Category Director, the CM coordinates ad/promo
priorities, refines assortment and presentation, and works with
retail customers on pricing guidelines and tactics. Directs the
day-to-day activities of the Category Merch Specialist. Job
Responsibilities: Category Business Planning
- Supports execution of category strategies and initiatives;
delivers against period, quarterly and annual forecast.
- Provides input to the development of a strategic Category
Business Plan (CBP).
- Coordinates working plan for team derived from annual &
quarterly category merchandising strategy based on evaluation of
past performance, consumer and competitive/company trends with a
focus on current banner insights.
- Assist with communicating quarterly sales targets by
- Partners with the Strategic Research and Analytics team,
actively reviews scorecards to bring consumer insights and trends
into actionable plans that drive weekly, quarterly and yearly sales
and gross profit dollars.
- Provide support and analysis info on Profit and Loss (P&L)
Statement Review and budgeting for category(s)
- Disseminates information in accordance with pricing
guidelines/tactics; reviews/recommends prices for national vendor
items; maintains sensitive items list.
- Awareness of pricing by classes of trade and key competitors in
each market. Promo
- Compiles market, supplier, and consumer information in support
of identifying national promo opportunities.
- Is aware of promotions by classes of trade and key competitors
in each market.
- Participates in review of full assortment; reviews and gives
input into national and local vendor recommendations; supports the
discontinued/markdown planning process for national items.
- Provides input to departmental leadership on ad space
allocations by department/banner (i.e. ad space plan).
- Works in collaboration with regional and banner merchants to
collect category performance feedback.
- Participates in vendor/sourcing conversations; understands the
vendor funds strategy and assists with the use of the strategy.
- Participate in sourcing reviews; may monitor inventory levels
and will participate in forecasting.
- Negotiates terms of swell allowance. Negotiation/Contracts
- Utilizes and further develops skills in such areas as
negotiation, Vendor Relations and Strategic Management.
- Assists/and may lead some negotiations for category.
- -Will assist in developing contracts with input from
- Reconcile contract to performance.
- Independently problem solves issues.
- Provides direction to Category Merch Specialists in initiatives
and day-to-day tasks; coaches and develops individuals identified
as highly performing in the Category Merch Specialist role.
- Performs other relevant job duties as required Job
Requirements: Education/ Certifications: (Required & Preferred)
- Five (5) years Category Management experience, with proven
performance using Category Management tools (e.g., Spectre Daata,
Syndicated Data Sources and Category Management applications)
- Previous experience in store operations or merchandising
preferred Other Skills/ Abilities:
- Analytical Skills: Must have a strong knowledge base in
supermarket retail and an understanding of consumer behavior in
relation to product performance; must carry a detailed
understanding of cause-effect relations between operational levers
and performance (assortment/price vs. volume/margins) by utilizing
financial, statistical, marketing, merchandising, and/or consumer
research background. Strong planning and organizational
- Management Skills: Experience in successfully leading,
motivating and monitoring performance; strong client management
skills, particularly working with vendors; ability to partner with
the banners as a team.
- Communication Skills: Excellent written and verbal
communication skills as well as interpersonal skills to develop and
maintain effective business relationships within and outside of the
- Technical skills: Well developed computer aptitude with
proficient skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office. Must be able
to adapt to and learn new systems quickly. --- Interpersonal
Skills: Proven ability to work successfully across all areas of the
company; can successfully monitor performance; strong client
management skills, particularly working with vendors; ability to
influence and lead effective partnerships with the banners; can
thrive in a complicated matrix environment.
- Innovation: Champions new ideas and initiatives and creates an
environment that supports innovation; leverages fresh perspectives,
breakthrough ideas, and new paradigms to create value in the
- Strategic Skills: Demonstrate ability to understand and think
big picture; develop and deliver category plans and programs that
compliment both the corporate and departmental strategies leading
to strong category sales and profit performance.
- P&L Responsibilities: Proven understanding of financial
reports, including prior experience with profit and loss (P&L)
statement responsibility -All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression,
national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. UNFI is
an Equal Opportunity employer committed to creating an inclusive
and respectful environment for all. - M/F/Veteran/Disability.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor. Additional Information
- Schedule: Full-time My ProfileCreate and manage profiles for
Keywords: United Natural Foods, Inc., Providence , Category Manager - GFD, Executive , Providence, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!