Senior Director of Communications, Brand, & Marketing
Company: Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, Inc.
Posted on: January 26, 2023
Planned Parenthood of Southern New EnglandCare. No Matter
What.We are Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, one of the
region's largest and most trusted providers of reproductive health
care. We are recognized for the wide array of services we provide,
the outstanding sexual health education we deliver, and our strong
commitment to social justice. Working for Planned Parenthood is
more than a job; it's being a part of a powerful movement.
Together, we'll take pride in shaping the future of sexual health
and reproductive rights for all people.The Senior Director of
Communications, Branding, and Marketing (CBM) reports to the Chief
of Staff to the President/CEO and Head of Strategic Communications
and provides operational leadership and direction to the CBM team,
which manages external communications, brand marketing, media
relations, digital communications, social media, email, video, and
advertising for Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, Planned
Parenthood Votes! Connecticut, and Planned Parenthood Votes! Rhode
Island. In partnership with the COS/Head of Strategic
Communications, the Senior Director will enhance PPSNE's, PPV!CT's,
and PPV!RI's visibility, image, and influence in Connecticut and
Rhode Island by crafting integrated communications, branding, and
marketing strategies to engage patients, partner organizations,
media, decision makers, activists, the general public, and
funders.The ideal candidate is a multi-faceted communications
professional and leader who can manage day-to-day department
operations by effectively supervising staff, optimizing workflow
processes, and contributing stellar communications deliverables
that advance the organization's strategic goals.Essential
- Leads CBM team in executing strategies that advance PPSNE,
PPV!CT, and PPV!RI communications goals; takes a customer-oriented
approach to partnering with other functions to support achievement
of their goals through communications strategies and tactics;
- Directly supervises the Communications & Media Relations
Officer and the Marketing Manager; provides coaching and mentoring
to develop the team's expertise in content areas and skill sets
critical to its success; establishes performance goals and
expectations across the functions of the team; holds team members
accountable for reaching their goals;
- Collaborates with the Senior Director, External Affairs
regarding PPV!RI communications, including the coordination of CBM
team members to support these efforts;
- Demonstrates message fluency across all of PPSNE's core mission
delivery areas (health care, education, and advocacy); is able to
serve as organizational spokesperson on these topics;
- Develops and maintains deep understanding of key external
audiences across organizational functions and geographies served by
PPSNE, PPV!CT, and PPV!RI;
- Understands and leverages communications opportunities to
support strategic organizational functions including philanthropy
and diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Collaborates with COS/Head of Strategic Communications on
department planning, strategy setting, and crisis communications
management; oversees implementation of rapid response
- Ensures that CBM team members establish and maintain effective
working relationships across functions to optimize collaboration in
executing key communications deliverables;
- Supports the COS/Head of Strategic Communications, the
President/CEO, and other spokespeople in ways that increase
organizational visibility and impact.
- Analyzes and incorporates data, polling, and research into
communications, branding, and marketing strategies and provide
high-level messaging and research counsel to organizational
- Tracks, reports on, and is accountable for departmental
- Manages department budget;
- Leads and participates in cross-functional team work to support
and advance strategic external communications goalsRequirements &
- Passionate commitment to the mission, vision and values of
PPSNE, PPV!CT, and PPV!RI.
- Bachelor's degree in English, communications, journalism,
marketing, or public policy.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with diverse
audiences, including the media, legislators, donors, partner
organizations and broader engagement with supporters and the
- At least 7-10 years of experience with increasing
responsibility and leadership in communications and/or brand
- Proven expertise in using communications and brand marketing to
effectively engage diverse audiences with cultural humility is
required-particularly within PPSNE's priority constituencies
(Black, Latinx, young people, immigrants, and LGBTQ+).
- Able to navigate a fast-paced work environment with changing
priorities and at times a high degree of ambiguity; simultaneously
handle multiple projects with competing deadlines and needs.
- In-depth experience with message strategy and development in
one or more of the organization's core mission delivery areas
(health care, education, and advocacy); demonstrate a willingness
and ability to develop content expertise across all three
- Exceptional writing and editing skills. Demonstrated ability to
handle controversial issues and to translate technical health and
policy information to broad audiences.
- Successful experience in developing, managing, and evaluating
strategic campaigns that produce results in the areas of
issue-based advocacy and/or health care.
- Successful experience related to client recruitment and
- Deep understanding of social justice, including oppression and
racial equity, and how these concepts impact people's ability to
access sexual and reproductive health care.
- Strong relationships with local media and progressive
organizations in Connecticut and/or Rhode Island.
- Minimum three years of experience and demonstrated success in
building high performing teams, managing staff, and facilitating
their professional development.
- Demonstrated understanding of how race dynamics impact
supervisory relationships, organizational culture, and internal and
external partnerships, and can demonstrate a history of
successfully intervening in problematic dynamics and deepening a
racial equity approach within an organization or team.
- Excellent relationship building, including a high level of
self-awareness, empathy, and humility in interpersonal
- Ability to manage a programmatic budget, balancing vendors and
- Availability to work flexible hours, including weekend and
evening as required.
- Organizational skills are required and project management
experience is preferred.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred, but not
- Collaborative leader
- Life-long learner
- Committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Culturally responsive
- Solution-orientedSalary Range; Min $90,169 Mid $112,711 Max
$140,889 and is based on full years of experience.Due to our
commitment to equity and fairness PPSNE does not negotiate
salaries.PPSNE is an equal employment opportunity employer and does
not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment
on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,
disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation,
gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by
applicable law. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace
that values diversity and inclusion and reflects the diversity of
our communities and patients. We strongly encourage people of color
and members of the LGBTQ community to apply. PPSNE offers a
comprehensive benefit package which includes; Health, dental and
vision insurance, retirement savings, paid parental leave, tuition
reimbursement, generous paid time off, a flexible spending account,
wellness program and more.
Keywords: Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, Inc., Providence , Senior Director of Communications, Brand, & Marketing, Executive , Providence, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!