Assistant Clinical Mgr
Company: Lifespan Corporation
Posted on: May 5, 2021
Summary: The Assistant Clinical Manager/Program Administrator is
a first line manager who in collaboration with the Clinical Manager
directs nursing care and coordinates resources for a specified unit
and performs administrative activities while providing leadership
and support to staff. Responsibilities: Areas of major
responsibility include: Patient Focus; Human Resource Management;
Financial Management; Departmental/Organizational Support; and
Clinical Practice Management/Development. The related values of
each major area of responsibility are: Patient Focus Core
Behaviors: The Assistant Clinical Manager collaborates and supports
the health care team in the delivery of quality and fiscally
responsible patient-focused care as evidenced by:
- Providing/directing nursing care throughout the life span with
consideration of the aging process developmental and cultural
patterns in each step of the nursing process.
- Identifying and allocating environmental technical personnel
resources needed to meet the need of patients family and
- Participation in quality assessment and improvement programs in
order to evaluate effectiveness of care delivered.
- Enhancement of unit behaviors through encouragement of
education implementation of new concepts and technology.
- Providing leadership in the development of policies procedures
standards of care and critical paths to promote positive patient
outcomes. Human Resource Management Core Behaviors: The Assistant
Clinical Manager is responsible to facilitate stimulate and
evaluate human resources to provide quality cost efficient patient
care as evidenced by:
- Staffing the patient care unit to meet patient's needs based on
the patient classification system and resources available.
- Documentation and communications of staff performance with
recommendations for quality and growth.
- Interdisciplinary collaboration to foster staff
- Development of unit staffing schedule to provide a fiscally
sound and safe staffing pattern which meets patient and family
needs and expectation.
- Conducting informational staff meetings to provide a positive
environment conducive to change and progress in the health care
- Identifying staff educational needs and works with the Clinical
Manager and Unit Teacher to promote learning.
- Identifying and resolving nursing care conflicts related to the
- Contributing to unit staff appraisals and developmental
- Assist in the credentialing process and assesses compliance to
- Collaborates with Nursing Faculty and students to meet
- Respect for Rhode Island Hospital policies procedures including
union contracts and standards of practice.
- Participating in staff recruitment and retention.
- Implementation of disciplinary action with respect to Rhode
Island Hospital Personnel Policies and Procedures. Financial
Management Core Behaviors: The Assistant Clinical Manager
effectively utilizes resources to develop cost efficient delivery
of high quality services as evidenced by:
- Critical Path development and utilization that provides quality
cost-efficient guide to patient care.
- Encouragement of financial conscientious staff with stimulation
to participate in development of cost-effective ideas and
- Assist in the development of capital and operational budgets
defined for the unit.
- Encouragement of staff to develop and implement new concepts
and technology into nursing practice.
- Develop unit staffing and scheduling to maximize personnel
talent and potential.
- Monitoring staff compliance to schedule through weekly payroll.
Departmental/Organizational Support Core Behaviors: The Assistant
Clinical Manager is responsible to contribute to the organizational
plan for development of short and long-term goals as evidenced by:
- Providing unit management coverage in collaboration with the
- Directing and supervising unit staff.
- Identify and resolve nursing care conflict and problems related
to the unit.
- Communicating the status of unit operations activities and
issues to the Clinical Manager or appropriate discipline.
- Participating in unit management meetings and recommending
fiscal/patient care objectives standards and goals.
- Chairing unit staff meetings in collaboration with the Clinical
- Collaboration with nursing faculty to facilitate students to
meet educational needs.
- Participation in the formation of policy procedures
- Participation on organizational committees.
- Compliance to Joint Commission standards. Clinical Practice
Management/Development Core Behaviors: To insure the highest
standards of patient-focused care the Assistant Clinical Manager
will assist in the advancement of team participation by assisting
the health care team to achieve and maintain clinical excellence as
- Remaining current on the latest concepts techniques and methods
relative to areas of responsibility.
- By demonstrating flexibility and recognizing the needs for the
- Collaborating with the health care team to foster communication
with patients sand family members to facilitate positive patient
outcomes and discharge planning.
- Participation in professional organization. In the role of
Specialty Coordinator is responsible for the operational financial
and communication efforts as in the performance of:
- Reviews daily schedule of surgical procedures assesses patient
care needs and assigns staff accordingly.
- Collaborates with anesthesia floor coordinator to provide
timely appropriate care to add-on patients based upon acuity.
- Coordinates with specialty coordinators to support
development/implementation of department specific
- Ensures that cases start at scheduled time and turnover times
are within defined parameters. Provides report to OR Committee on a
- Responsible for efficient utilization of clinical and ancillary
staff; monitors overtime and sick time.
- Participates in development of department operational and
capital budgets with specific emphasis on "global" needs of
- Keeps coordinators staff and PACU apprised of schedule changes
and pertinent information in a timely fashion.
- Keeps anesthesia floor coordinator informed about staff as it
relates to completion of surgical schedule.
- Inform surgeons about schedule changes impacting their
- Communicates frequently with patient significant others in the
- Responsible for communicating relevant schedule information
with off shift and weekend staff.
- Verbal/written communication is simple direct and clear.
- Meets daily/or as needed with Clinical Manager to communicate
daily plan and to discuss issues/needs: i.e. equipment personnel
surgeon needs. PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
- Ensures equipment is maintained in proper working order and
that malfunctioning equipment is removed from use and repaired or
- Ensures compliance with departmental and regulatory standards
i.e. AORN Joint Commission.
- Ensures safety checks are done on schedule i.e. crash carts
autoclave testing etc.
- Daily clinical assignment based upon staff level of experience
and patient acuity.
- Assignment of staff to projects/committees to support
department strategic and quality plans sand follows through to
- Investigates and documents concerns regarding personnel.
- In collaboration with Clinical Manager counsels staff when
requested/indicated and implements disciplinary steps when
- Has input into and/or hires/terminates staff; performs
performance reviews for all ancillary staff and has input into
clinical staff evaluations.
- Is responsible for ensuring appropriate timely and accurate use
of incident reports collating reports and developing a monthly
- Assists with developing/maintaining policy and procedures.
- Is able to recognize trends and discusses trends with Clinical
- Management Commitment is visible accessible and credible builds
positive working relationships. Is actively involved in supporting
staff i.e. by assisting with room turnover coffee and lunch breaks
- Morning report; timely schedule information sharing. Other
information: QUALIFICATIONS-EDUCATION: Must have current licensure
to practice as a Registered Nurse in the State of Rhode Island.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing required. Candidates matriculated
into a BSN program will be considered. Maintains an active
CEU/Education file. QUALIFICATIONS-EXPERIENCE: Minimum of 3 years
relevant experience with demonstrated clinical and leadership
skills. Maintains mandatory skills; remains current in practice and
technology; as an active member of AORN. SUPERVISION: Supervisory
responsibility for up to 40 FTEs. Lifespan is an Equal Opportunity
/ Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race color
religion sex national origin age ethnicity sexual orientation
ancestry genetics gender identity or expression disability
protected veteran or marital status. Lifespan is a VEVRAA Federal
Contractor. Location: Rhode Island Hospital USA:RI:Providence Work
Type: Full Time Shift: Shift 4 Union: Non-Union
Keywords: Lifespan Corporation, Providence , Assistant Clinical Mgr, Healthcare , Providence, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!