Youth Support Specialist
Company: Foster Forward
Posted on: May 17, 2019
Youth Support Specialist
Providing rapid re-housing & case management for youth.
www.fosterforward.net for details. Cover letter/resume due by 5/17
The Your Way Home Rapid Rehousing Program at Foster Forward serves
youth ages 18-24 who were in foster care on or after their 14th
birthday, and are currently experiencing homelessness. Rapid
re-housing provides short-term rental assistance and services with
the goal of helping people obtain housing quickly, increase self-
sufficiency, and stay housed. The Your Way Home Youth Support
Specialist provides direct youth-centered and strengths-based case
management to youth in the program. The Youth Support Specialist
encourages engagement of youth, supports youth to accomplish their
goals around achieving housing stability, and gains a deep
understanding of available local and regional resources to reduce
and remove barriers to employment and housing. The Youth Support
Specialist provides services both at the Foster Forward office and
in the community. Foster Forward is an Equal Opportunity
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Building authentic, caring, and affirming relationships with
Your Way Home youth.
- Providing a trauma informed approach to youth, colleagues, and
self that reflects the values of Foster Forward.
- Developing self-care practices.
- Building and maintaining strong working relationships with
- Completing intakes and assessments with youth.
- Develop a housing plan with each youth and provide housing
search support to locate appropriate housing rentals.
- Assist participants in completing landlord and property
management housing applications.
- Provide hands-on assistance to enable participants to find
suitable housing, including accompanying participants to apartment
- Advocate on behalf of the participant with landlords and
property managers to overcome any issues or challenges to securing
and maintaining suitable housing.
- Providing youth flexible, responsive case management that
addresses their variety of needs including accessing safe and
affordable housing; obtaining identification; enrolling in high
school, GED program, and college; navigating financial aid;
accessing public benefits; connecting to health, mental health, and
substance abuse care; accessing childcare; connecting to employment
and permanent housing; and other supports.
- Checking in with youth regularly about progress on their goals
and how Foster Forward and other partners can support them.
- Seek and pick up furniture for newly housed youth.
- Following up with youth by phone/email/Facebook.
- Entering youth data into the Homelessness Management
Information System and Foster Forward's Efforts to Outcomes
- Seek out and attend (as possible) relevant trainings and events
that enhance skills, bodies, of knowledge, and which will improve
Foster Forward's Your Way Home program.
- Participate in relevant community initiatives, such as the
Family & TAY Placement Meeting and Continuum of Care meetings.
- Advocate with youth, staff, and community partners for equity
and opportunity in matters of housing, employment, education, etc.
for youth/young adults experiencing homelessness.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BCI and CANTS Clearances
- Regular access to a car for community-based case management
services (i.e. home visits).
- A bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- At least two years of case management (or equivalent)
- Desire to support homeless youth and young adults in a
- Experience working with youth and/or people experiencing
- Welcoming demeanor and strong oral and written communication
- Familiarity with the housing market and related resources.
- Must be a self-initiator and be able to problem solve various
- Position reports to Director of Evaluation and Quality
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin,
religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation,
sexual orientation, marital status or disability (in compliance
with the Americans with Disabilities Act) with respect to
Keywords: Foster Forward, Providence , Youth Support Specialist, Other , Providence, Rhode Island
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!